Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Statement on the Baronet Theater

In recent weeks, there has been much discussion in the community about Saving the Baronet Theater from being condemned by eminent domain.

The current owner of the Baronet Theater, as almost all of you know, is Mr. Pat Fasano. In the 2004 Municipal Election, Mr. Fasano contributed $583 in support of my candidacy. In light of this, when the ordinance to take the Baronet by eminent domain was introduced at the July 6th City Council meeting, I recused myself from voting on the issue.

Tonight there will be a public hearing and most likely a vote on whether or not the City Council will take the Baronet from Mr. Fasano by eminent domain.

After careful consideration and conversations with our legal counsel, two additional attorneys, and a broad cross section of my constituents, I have made the decision that I will NOT be recusing myself from discussion and the potential vote on this matter at tonight’s City Council meeting.

I have made my positions on eminent domain and the preservation of our historical assets crystal clear both before and after the election. I am quite comfortable and confident that the modest contribution made by Mr. Fasano to my campaign will in no way cloud my judgment, influence my decision or compromise my ethics on this matter. Moreover, neither I, nor any members of my immediate family or any business organizations in which I have an interest have a direct or indirect financial or personal involvement that might reasonably be expected to impair my objectivity or independence of judgment. Regardless of who owned the Baronet Theater, I would vote in the same way.

Having said this, why do I feel we should SAVE THE BARONET?

First, it is a historical asset with a rich architectural and programmatic history. Second, the current owners have made the necessary renovations and are now ready to open the venue thus creating another destination location for people to visit in Asbury Park. Third, they plan to show movies on Friday through Sunday for $2 per ticket. Given the economic demographics in our city, this will make a night at the movies affordable for our working families. Fourth, they are willing to allow various community groups use the facility for programming. Finally, I have not seen, nor heard of any concrete plans that Asbury Partners has for this particular block and therefore I do not feel that there is any pressing need for this property to be taken at this time.

Peace, JWK

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Councilman,

First I will start by saying I am for these building being saved. However I would like to know what agreement would have to be made with Asbury Partners to do so. Obviously they would be out of some land and it is no secret that Asbury Partners has done a poor job of gaining resident confidence. Fasano is liked. We have all seen his work and know the stories. But this does not mean it is ok to take from partners and give to Fasano.

In my opinion Fasano bought those properties under value. Of course the offer from Asbury Partners on these properties continues to show how they are looking to take advantage.

So if the council votes to save these buildings. What does Asbury Partners get? Will they then be allowed additional heights on building to make up for the lost units? As a homeowner of Asbury, I would not want to see that. I am already unhappy with the height of the towers replacing C-8. Would Fasano’s properties be immune to the wrecking ball? Increasing his values and again at what costs to the residents.

You lay out your reasons for saving the buildings and I believe most would agree. But how do you plane to make this work. That is what we need to know.